Monday, March 5, 2007

A Neat Opportunity...

My friend Rebecca had a post about a neat mission opportunity she was taking part in. I have decided to contribute and I wanted to spread the word as well, in case any of you are interested.

Our friend Randi's daughter, Danika, is going to Kenya to do mission work in an orphanage. Randi and her daughter Emily decided to take part in Danika's mission by sewing clothes for the orphans and they have asked for some help.

Randi wrote:

"Our goal is to provide skirts for each of the girls at the orphanage (25 total), and if that happens, we would like to provide skirts for girls living at two affiliated orphanages (50 more--75 total). The children in the orphanages own almost nothing except for the clothes that they wear (one outfit) and Emily and I thought that sending them skirts would be a wonderful way to let them know that they are loved and cared for, and to add a little bit of beauty to their lives. A drop in the bucket? Yes. But if we all pull together to meet needs, the bucket's contents will rise higher and higher!"

<span class=

" So, could we ask you to consider making a skirt (or two) for a little girl? All sizes are needed and can be used. I figure that each skirt will cost approximately $10 to $15 to make and 2-3 hours to put together, depending on your sewing abilities."

"One idea is to make a skirt in your own daughter's size and let her pick out the fabric. This makes it a mommy/daughter endeavor!"

"Here is the link to the pattern that we are using (#4252) and here is a tutorial in a little girl's skirt size and one in a bigger girl's skirt size. We took care to pick something easy, by the way, so don't worry about these being too difficult to make!"

"If possible, I would like to have the skirts finished and mailed to me by March 31 so that we can start working on something for the boys at the orphanage."

Click here, to go directly to the story about the project.

JoAnne's has the pattern listed above for 40% this week.

If you decide to participate, let me know so that we can share pictures of our finished project.

2 Comments:

Rebecca said...

YAY Charree! I am SO excited to have someone doing this too! Thank you so much for participating.

Is the turquise skirt the one you made? It is lovely! I just finished my first skirt yesterday and am posting pictures of it as we speak.

I hope to do a big girl skirt and two baby dresses too. We shall see...

Charree said...

Hey Rebecca! I can't wait to see your skirt. The turquoise skirt isn't mine, it is the one Randi had on her blog. I have to put the finishing touches on mine later and then I will post pictures.

Happy sewing!