Thursday, February 22, 2007

God and Uncertainties...

A few years ago, I discovered a wonderful quote from Elizabeth Elliot. I just ran across it again and am still 'wowed' by it. I am so glad that I found it again. God really does put things in your way right when you need them. Here is the quote:

"Waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty,
to carry within myself the unanswered question,
lifting my heart to God about it
whenever it intrudes upon my thoughts."
~Elizabeth Elliot

I can still remember a time when I (in many ways) clung to this quote as a constant reminder to let God handle my future. At the time that I discovered this quote, I was in the midst of being single and trying to be happy being that way. I have always wanted to be a stay-at-home wife and mom. Summed up, that was (and still is) my life's 'occupational' ambition. However, for a short while in my life I just worried and stressed about if I never met the right guy and God didn't have it in His plan for my life for me to marry. As I was reading Passion and Purity by Elizabeth Elliot, I came across this quote. It 'wowed' me and I still remember trying to let God handle all of my uncertainty. My mom can attest to my struggle with being happy where God had me then (which was single, with NO prospects might I add). In the early summer of 2005, I really came to terms with where God had me and was content being single since that was where I was supposed to be. I met my DH in September of 2005 and God began opening my eyes to show me that my DH was the one that He had picked out for me (and that my Mom had been praying for since before I was born).

Now after two years, I ran across this quote again. Today, I have different uncertainties and worries but the wonderful part is I still have the same God. The One who formed me in my Mom's womb, knows every hair on my head (even the ones that are turning gray) and has guided my every step even when I wasn't sure where I was going. He knows what I worry about and what scares me, I just have to keep resting in Him even when I am not sure what is going on. I have to lay my uncertainties at His feet and rest in the peace He gives.

1 Comment:

Linda said...

What a beautiful entry. Waiting on God is one of the hardest things we are called to do. But we can trust in His goodness and in His faithfulness.

Waiting time is not wasting time.