Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Moving Right Along...

Hi friends! Our kitchen renovation is moving right along. The above picture is of my kitchen last Christmas. It had several areas of major wasted space and just plain odd looking things about it (all of which are notated above in red). To begin with, the vent hood that was over my stove was 42" long and looked very funny sitting over my 30" stove. There was also about a foot of wasted space on the other side of the oven that was completely unused. My kitchen has wood beadboard/paneling on the walls. The beadboard was behind the stove as well and stuck out about 3 inches over the top of it (which really got on my nerves).

So the solution was to remove the bead board and replace it with Sheetrock. Replace the humongous vent hood with a smaller one and a little cabinet. We scooted the oven down and made a cookie sheet cabinet next to the stove. I also moved our microwave into the laundry room to give me a little bit more counter space.
My DH built my two additional cabinets (notated by the red arrows), put up the new Sheetrock along the back splash, and put in my new vent hood this past weekend. He worked so very hard and he did a wonderful job (if I do say so myself). He is going to make the doors for the cabinets and we are going to at least begin the prep work for painting all of the lower cabinets this weekend. The guys come out to measure for my new counter tops tomorrow. I am so excited, but we have a lot and I mean a TON of stuff to do before they install the counter tops.

Thanks for touring my "in the works" kitchen. I hope that your day is blessed!

5 Comments:

Melissa said...

That already looks good! I know you're going to love your new storage! Your husband is doing a great job! Thanks for showing us the pictures!

Melissa :D

Davene said...

Great changes! It IS odd about that stove area with the larger hood...what were the previous owners thinking? :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations - you won the Cocoa Cappucino Crinkle Cookies from Simply Seasonal at Etsy.com. I'll let her know to be expecting your snail mail address and will make arrangements to ship them asap.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the final product!

Brittany said...

Wow it's really come a long way! You both are doing such a great job! I can't wait to see the end result!