Monday, January 5, 2009

A New Game for the New Year...

Hello everyone! I hope that your new year is off to a good start.

Last week my DH and I went to the mall for a mini-date. We stopped at the pretzel kiosk and chatted over our pretzels and root beer. While we were there we saw that the game kiosk in the mall was having a "going out of business because Christmas is over" type of sale and all of their games were 50% off. We found a few games that we didn't have and purchased them. We bought Kings in the Corner, Canasta Caliente, and GO.
We have been playing Canasta Caliente since New Years day and have been having a blast with it. From what I understand you can play Canasta with a standard deck of cards. The Canasta Caliente version has a couple of specialty cards that you can't play in regular Canasta. Being that I have only played the Caliente version I couldn't tell you exactly what type of differences there are. Canasta comes from a South American origin and became very popular across the U.S. in the 1950's.

Canasta is a rummy-like game. You have to make sets (melds) and there are no runs. My DH and I have played it with three players and four players. We haven't played it as a two player game yet but it says it is for 2 to 6 players. We have been having a great time playing this new found game. In fact, I think that it might become a favorite.

Do you like to play games? If so, what is your favorite game to play?

6 Comments:

Davene said...

I LOVE to play games!!! I have too many favorites to even list. :) But recent favorites are Skip-Bo and Phase 10--two games that my mother-in-law got for us when she last visited. My oldest son Josiah is also a game-lover, and he's usually the one with whom I play these games.

Enjoy your new games! I've heard of Canasta but have never played it.

Brittany said...

Sounds like a fun game! We love board and card games. One of my favorites is Phase 10...it's also a rummy type game!

Of course you can add me to your "blogs I read" section! Thanks for asking! I actually already did add you to mine....I hope that's ok?

Have a wonderful week!

Brittany

Charree said...

Phase 10 is one of my family's favorite games. We have played it for the last ten years probably and haven't tired of it.

Davene~ I have never really played Skip-Bo much. I think that we have a deck though. We will have to give it a try.

Brittany~ It is perfectly fine for you to add a link to my blog onto your blog.

Hope your day is great!
~Charree

Davene said...

Charree, sure, you can add a link to my blog! I'll do the same for you! :)

Nanci said...

These long winter nights are a great time for playing games (especially up north here where it is freezing cold outside and nearly dark by 5:30 in the evening).

Our family usually plays Pinochle for about an hour before the kids head to bed. Nice way to wind down and enjoy each other.

Blessings in the year to come.

Cinnamon said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit. I'm enjoying reading yours.

I would have thought Texas weather and Fl weather would of been the same.........humid :-) We got married in Orlando, FL and drove across Texas a couple times. That took aaaaaaaaaaalllllll day :-/

~Cinnamon