Sunday, December 14, 2008

Southwestern Crawfish Corn Chowder...

This evening I made some chowder for dinner. I got this recipe from my mom and grandmother. It is really delicious. I served it with French bread. I halfed the recipe and it fed my DH and I with a container and a half leftover. I am not sure how this chowder freezes, but I am going to give it a try with my leftovers to see. I hope you enjoy!

Southwestern Crawfish Corn Chowder

1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (7 oz.) can salsa verde*
1 small onion, chopped
3 green onions, chopped (including green parts)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups half-and-half
2 tomatoes, diced
2 (15 oz.) cans cream-style corn
2 (11 oz.) cans Mexican corn
2 (10.75 oz.) cans cream of potato soup
2 cups chicken broth
3 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (16 oz.) packages crawfish tail meat
Garnish: chopped fresh chives

In a large stockpot, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring constantly, to make a light roux.

Add salsa, onions, and garlic. Cook until onions are wilted, stirring constantly. Add half-and-half, tomatoes, corn, soup, and stock. Add thyme, salt, seasoning, pepper, and cayenne. Stir to blend. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add crawfish and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped chives, if desired.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

*Salsa verde is a green salsa, typically made from tomatillos, green chilies, and cilantro. It is available in the Hispanic foods section of most groceries.

1 Comment:

Mrs. U said...

OH YUM!! This sounds delicious!! Of course, I will have to use chicken sometime!!!

His,
Mrs. U