Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Quiet Strength Review...


Yesterday I finished reading Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy and I was sad that the end of the book had come.

I grew up watching pro-football (NFL) with my Dad on Sunday afternoons during football season. In the NFL, as with most professional sports, athletes have a great deal of athletic talent and "earthly" success, yet their lives often fall apart because they are looking for fulfillment in the wrong places. Some athletes and coaches, however, have found fulfillment through their faith in God.

Tony Dungy is the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He has used the position God has given him to be an example of what is really important in life. Dungy writes about his faith, the ups and downs of his life, and football. I don't want to give away too much of the book's content, but I encourage you to buy it for yourself or your spouse. You will be encouraged by Dungy's integrity and challenged to make your faith a real part of your life.

Here is an excerpt from the Epilogue where Dungy writes about what is really important in his life:

"Touching lives. Building a legacy-- not necessarily on the field but in those places that most people will never see. Trying to be faithful in the position God has given me. I love coaching football, and winning a Super Bowl was a goal I've had for a long time. But it has never been my purpose in life. My purpose in life is simply to glorify God." -pg. 301

Dungy has a new book coming out in February 2009 title UnCommon. To find out more about UnCommon, click here. To Find out more about Quiet Strength, click here.

0 Comments: