Monday, October 6, 2008

Apples This Way and That Way...

Hello to all of you. I hope that your weekend and your Monday went well. I hope that you had the opportunity to take in the fall weather around you (if that means pretty trees or just slightly cooler temperatures).

My DH and I had a busy, yet relaxed (if that is possible) weekend. We spent most of Saturday at a college football game. We had a good time cheering on our team on even though we did not win. It was fun getting to spend time with my DH.

Yesterday after church I got into apple mode. I peeled about 18 pounds of apples while my DH and I watched a movie and after the movie was over began making Applesauce and Spiced Apple Waffles. All in all I made 6 1/2 more quarts of Applesauce and almost 4 dozen waffles.

I have had a request or two for the Applesauce recipe that I use. I originally got this recipe on a blog last year and then tweaked it some. This recipe makes "not very sweet, but not tart" applesauce and I used all organic ingredients (which is just a matter of choice). The apples that I used are Honeycrisp apples and have a very smooth taste. I have doubled the recipe both times I have made it. If you would like more information on the "How to's" of canning, click here.

Applesauce

2 cups of unsweetened apple juice or cider
8 pounds of apples (I used Honeycrisp Apples)

In a large stew pot or dutch oven bring apple juice to a boil. Peel, core and slice the apples. Place apples in hot juice and let cook until soft, about 40 minutes.

Remove from heat and ladle into food processor or blender in batches processing until smooth, usually just a few seconds). Combine the batches afterward to ensure a consistent texture before laddling into jars. Laddle into prepared jars.

Process quart or pint jars with a water bath for 15 minutes.

Yield: 2-3 quarts

The following recipe is a wonderful waffle recipe I found online sometime ago and have tweaked just a little. The recipe is pretty involved. I tripled the recipe since the waffles freeze beautifully. I made a double batch last year and put them in the freezer. When I wanted waffles I would just take a few out and put them in the toaster (just like an Eggo). I stored them in gallon size Ziploc bags and they kept for almost a year. The recipe is definitely worth the trouble (especially if you make a big batch) because they taste the delicious.

Spiced Apple Waffles
3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup milk, warmed
3/4 cup buttermilk, warmed

1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, grated
(I used 1/2 Granny Smith and 1/2 Gala)*

1 1/2 cups cake flour
(I used 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 whole wheat cake flour)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar

1 cup toasted pecans, chopped

In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, milk and butter. Stir in apple. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to yolk mixture and whisk until smooth. Stir in toasted pecans.


Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Add sugar 1 T. at a time; beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes. Fold half of whites into batter and then the remaining whites.


Pour about 2/3 c. batter onto waffle iron. Cook waffles until golden brown, about five minutes. Keep warm in 200 degree oven while cooking the rest of the waffles (if you are going to serve them immediately).


Top with syrup, powdered sugar, or honey butter if desired.

Yield: About eight 6" Belgian waffles


*I used the largest holes on my grater because anything smaller just makes mush.



0 Comments: