Sunday, January 14, 2007

Opening our Door

My husband and I had an older, widower from our church over for lunch. This gentleman was drafted during college to fight in World War II. My husband and I are both very interested in history especially WWII, so it was really neat to get to hear about his life and where God has led him.

Having this gentleman into our home made me realize how much I enjoy opening our home to those around us who are alone. It was nice to be able to share in food and fellowship. My DH and I are going to make an effort to have more people into our home to share the love of Christ with others.

While my DH and I were house-hunting this past summer, I happened upon a book that had this "prayer" from the Old Rectory at Crowhurst in it. It is the prayer for my house (and home).

Oh God, make the door of this house wide enough to receive
all who need human love and fellowship,
narrow enough to shut out all envy, pride, and strife.

Make its threshold smooth enough to not be a stumbling block,
but rugged and strong enough to turn back the tempter's power.

God, make the door of this house the gateway to

Thine eternal kingdom, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

2 Comments:

Shereen said...

What a nice prayer. It really does feel good to open our doors to others. Good for you both. I know for us, it feels like we are the ones that receive a blessing when we invited someone over.

Charree said...

Amen to feeling like your the one to receive the blessing. It is so neat to share all that God has given us.