Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Chicken-and-Sausage Creole

Earlier today, when I had a moment to sit down, I browsed my February issue of Southern Living. While flipping through the pages, I came across a Quick-and-Easy recipe for Chicken-and-Sausage Creole. I had taken the chicken out of the freezer in order to cook a Chicken-and-Blackbean Stew; however, I cooked this recipe instead. I altered the recipe a little bit, using andouille sausage instead of smoked sausage. I also doubled the amount of sausage. It was great!

Chicken-and-Sausage Creole
from Southern Living

1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 (14-oz.) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 cup chopped celery
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 bay leaves

1. Prepare rice according to package directions, substituting 2 cups broth for water.

2. Meanwhile, sauté sausage and next 4 ingredients in a lightly greased Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining broth, chicken, and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves, and serve over hot cooked rice.

Yield: Makes 6 Servings

Doren Clark, McDonough, Georgia
Southern Living,FEBRUARY 2007

Click here to go directly to the recipe on Southern Living's website.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I see you are new to blogging world. I think I read all your posts so far! I love the cakes you are doing and can't wait to see more! What a great job & sounds like fun! I'd love to try my hand at cake decorating, too! Have a great day & Welcome to blogging! Hope to see you around soon! :)