Friday, April 16, 2010

From Garden to Puree..

One of the big things that I knew I wanted to do when I was expecting Judah was start a garden so we could grew veggies to turn into Judah's baby food.

In January/February my DH put in some spinach, carrots, leaf lettuce, and English peas. Well, we have had two delicious salads from our leaf lettuce so far and harvested the first little bit of spinach.
I was able to make several weeks worth of baby food from the spinach my DH thinned out. I made some plain puree and tried out a fancy one from the cookbook Top 100 Baby Purees by Annabel Karmel.
The recipe we used had sweet potatoes, peas, and spinach. You cooked it until soft and then pureed it.
I am using ice trays to freeze them into individual portions and then popping them into a Ziploc bag after they are frozen.
It is working like a dream.

2 Comments:

Amy said...

I had a baby food grinder for my boys. The need to be able to handle a little bit of texture, as it does not get it perfectly smooth. I just put whatever we were eating in the grinder and that is what my boys ate as well.

I had friends that did their baby food in ice cube trays, and it worked great for them. I just never got that far into it. But, I think it's a great idea.

Charree said...

Amy,
I have heard about the baby food grinder. I will have to get one for when he is a little bigger.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. It is very nice to meet you!
~Charree