Sunday, May 25, 2008

Food and Family...

My Mom and I this past November cooking in my kitchen.

I am not sure how it is for most people, but for me food and family are never too far from each other. Before my DH and I moved to Texas, leaving my family behind in Florida, every Sunday after church my family would go to my Grandmother's (aka Gram's) house for lunch. She always fixed yummy meals and it was fun to spend time around the table with those I hold most dear. Even though my DH and I are no longer in the area, my Mom, Dad, and sister still go over to Gram's house for lunch. When we travel home, it is always a highlight to once again gather 'round the table at Gram's on Sunday afternoon. Sometimes, either my mom or Gram will send me recipes that they tried on Sunday and I get to try them out myself.

When my DH and I were dating, he would often come over to my parents' house (I lived at home throughout college) and eat dinner with us. It was during this time that my parents and my sister got to know my "future DH" and I had the chance to get to know him in the family setting.

This past week, my DH's parents came for a visit. A week before they came, I was working on my menu for the week that they would be here. I went grocery shopping and got all (well minus that one little thing that I always forget to put on my list) the ingredients I need to prepare the meals. I enjoyed getting to prepare these meals and have everyone sit around our dinner table.

One night at dinner, I had a thought and I became truly thankful for my new insight. I began to see how my Gram's and my Mom's hospitality and joy of having people around the table had had an influence on me. I had the chance to cook recipes that had been shared by both of them or cook from a cookbook that one of them had given to me.

I am so thankful that my Mom took the time to teach me how to cook and to use recipes.
Not only did she enrich my life, but she has given me the opportunity to enrich others' lives as they sit around our dinner table and share in food and fellowship.

0 Comments: