Sunday, October 7, 2007

Pears, Floors, and Apples...

Hello Everyone! I hope that all of you had a wonderful weekend and that you had beautiful fall weather to enjoy.

I have had a very good weekend and end of last week. I got a whole lot of things accomplished and I can't wait to share the pictures.

On Tuesday evening I put the contents below to good use. (Mrs. U, here are my cute gloves from Target. They were only $1.)


I scrubbed my "in very bad need of a good scrubbing" kitchen floor. I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed away. I was very happy with the end result and that has led me to be very, very particular about the kitchen floor. Oh well!


Every Wednesday I have the day "off" so to speak. All that that means is I am not watching any children and I usually don't have any work to do for my job at the church. Each week, I have been trying to undertake a project from start to finish on my day "off" and this week I tried a first, I canned.

When I was young my Mom used to put up Pear Honey. Well last weekend, my DH bought some pears at the Farmer's Market. He ate a few but we still had a whole bag left over, so I started tasting the Pear Honey in my mind and decided I would make some and put it up.

So, last Wednesday I went shopping around for some jars. I found some of the really cute "squatty" ones and put up eight 8 ounce jars and one 16 ounce jar of Pear Honey. All of them turned out well and I was very proud of myself for my newfound accomplishment. In fact, my DH and I had a social event to go to tonight at one of the department head's home and I brought her a can of the Pear Honey as a hostess gift (I didn't take a picture of it with the tag and raffia on it though).

I also went to the grocery and they had a spread of all different types of apples. The presence of these apples and a new recipe I found gave me the urge to make an apple pie. So, with the help of my DH peeling the apples, I made an apple pie from scratch (crust and all). I even made it look "fallish" and it tasted delicious.










I do believe that this has started something because I can't wait to can something else. I just feel so productive and proud to look at the jars that I filled and sealed. For the knowledge I have a about canning, I need to thank my Mom and Dad for the lessons through the years, even though I fussed and told them that I would serve my children Green Giant instead of going through all of the work.

Who knew it was this much fun and tasted so good!?!?!?!

1 Comment:

Rebecca said...

Congratulations on a job well done-and I think you will now become addicted. There is NOTHING so easy for a hostess gift as picking up a canning jar of food-and nothing as appreciated either!

That apple pie looks amazing!