Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Being 21 Again...

Well, I am 21 again, though this time I will only be this way for a week instead of a year. Corny joke I know.

My DH and I took some self-portraits this weekend of the two of us and the baby bump.

I had my five month appointment today and everything seems to be going well. I am past halfway there. BIG YAY!!!! My shots are going well and I don't have anything to complain about. I have really been able to feel our little boy moving around the last week or so. Last night my DH was able to feel a big kick for the first time. I am so excited that he was able to feel our little one moving around.

I think that it is really starting to set in that we are going to have a baby and the more I think about the more excited I get. I am just being remind constantly of the years I prayed that God would bless us with a little one. I am trusting God to lead me as I bring this little one into the world and as we raise him to fear the Lord.

I have been feeling the urge to prepare myself for raising our little boy. I want him to become a godly man. For my summer reading I am wanting to read Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson and Wild At Heart by John Eldredge. After talking to one of my dear friends who is currently raising two boys, the thoughts that I had about preparing myself for our little boy were reinforced. I do believe that I will be reading those two books once a year from now on.

Have any of you read a book on raising boys that you found to helpful or enlightening?

9 Comments:

Davene said...

Those two books are at the top of my list! In fact, I'm reading Wild at Heart right now...tonight, I had the chance to read a few pages while Tobin was playing in the bathtub. :)

Here are two other suggestions for you: That's My Son: How Moms Can Influence Boys to Become Men of Character by Rick Johnson and The Hair-Raising Joys of Raising Boys by Dave Meurer (that one literally made me laugh until I cried, but it also had some good serious points).

Boys are such a blessing! Obviously, I'm biased, but I'm really thrilled for you that you have been given the gift of a son!

Allison said...

I HIGHLY recommend Shepherding A Child's Heart by Ted Tripp. You may not think that you'll need a book on biblical discipline right away but I wished that my husband and I had read it before our son was born. There are some good foundational chapters to read and talk about well before any disciplining takes place.

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

I have not read any books that I have found helpful but I have been blessed to have raised a wonderful son. He will be 27 in August and will marry his best friend on September 12th. I am sure you and your husband will do a wonderful job raising your son. I pray everything continues to go well for all of you.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Charree said...

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I have put them on my Half.com wishlist.

Have a blessed weekend!
~Charree

FL Friend said...

fear the lord?

Anonymous said...

Halfway! Congrats and you two look great in the picture. It goes so fast--enjoy each moment!

Julieann said...

Oh Charree, you are just the cutest pregnant mama---you are so tiny and then all baby in front:)

Isn't the kicking just amazing? After the baby is born, you miss thos sweet moments. I remember one time I put something on my tummy and Tony kicked it off...LOL.

Julieann

Charree said...

FL Friend - By fear, I mean a reverent respect.

Charree said...

CherryTreeLane & Julieann - Thank you so much for your sweet comments, especially the part about being tiny!!! :-D